Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Rock, Paper, Scissors

April 27, 2015

Hello, good afternoon!!

This last week was good! We had some cool member lessons and found some sweet new investigators! I just wish I spoke Spanish. There is a part of our area where there are a ton of people from the DR and they're all so nice and humble. I'll have to start practicing my "hola" and "como esta" again.

The best part of the week was with Ronald! I'm gonna tell this story in a long, roundabout way I think...

RONALD--the Fall of Adam and rock, paper, scissors

So with Ronald, we've taught him everything already in preparing him for baptism. But now, as he has hit a roadblock in being baptized, we are just going through all the lessons again to make sure he keeps the faith until he gets his life arranged. So this last Wednesday we planned to go over the Plan of Salvation. Having a background of a Jehovah's Witness, he believed in some of the misconceptions of the Fall of Adam, that we fortunately understand, thanks to the restored gospel.

As we prepared for it I was a little bit worried and we felt inspired to focus on practicing to teach him the Fall of Adam. We did role plays, looked up scriptures, and kept reviewing how we could make it simple for him to understand. I was sincerely worried that his misunderstanding would cause him to disagree and become less receptive to us. But I can testify, that preparing to teach invites the Spirit to testify in lessons and teach through you. 2 Nephi 33:1--"when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men."

As we taught him, he kept giving us his perplexed face as we stated points of doctrine and explained about why the Fall was necessary for us, how God had already known that it was going to happen, and how we are not going to have to pay for the sins of Adam. As we shared a scripture from 2 Nephi 2:24--"But behold, all things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things." After reading it, he looked up at us with a smile on his face and said, "I've never thought of it like this, but it just makes sense!" I'm sure that he was being taught by the Spirit.

As we kept teaching, he grasped onto every single point that we brought up, and slowly but surely, all of his confusion and misconception about the Fall of Adam and the nature of the Atonement were resolved. At the end of the lesson he said, "There are so many people that don't understand this!" We asked him if there was anyone that he knew that we could teach and he said yes! He definitely felt the same spirit that Lehi felt when he said, "how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth" (2 Nephi 2:8) Right after the lesson, he took us to his neighbor next door and said, "Hey, these are two guys that I want you to talk to. They can teach you more about what I've been learning and why you see me going to church again." It was super cool. So we got the lady's phone number, and we're going to pass it off to the sister missionaries to teach her (she lives in their area.)

And to wrap it all up, we taught him how to play "rock, paper, scissors" at the end of the lesson (it was a battle to see who got to say the prayer.) Who doesn't know how to play "rock, paper, scissors"? Apparently, he didn't play a lot of games as a child. It was so funny! We taught him how to play and on the third hit, when you normally put out your weapon, he would always be stuck between forming a pair of scissors and a rock, so he would put out his fingers halfway, in like a curved position. And then he would BUST UP!! He has the most jolly laugh and the brightest white teeth. He let out this big "HO, HO, HO!!" and then he cackled through his teeth as he tried to hold it in. It was contagious too, and Elder Broadbent and I couldn't contain ourselves either. It took us all about a minute and a half to calm down before we could actually do the prayer. It was an awesome experience and one of the most memorable lessons of my mission. :) Someday, I hope you all can meet Ronald.

Anyway, I have to go. I'm excited to see the Fords and Bairds this week at Sunset Grill! I'll make sure that we take some pictures. Thanks for sending my suit with them! I hope I fit in it!

I love you all! Talk to you again just now!

Love,
Elder Dayton

pics:
A cool pic of me at our "water tower." It's something that President Mehr recommended we do - find a peaceful place that we can resort to, every so often, with our companion to talk and to converse with the Lord. It's a private spot that overlooks our area that Elder Broadbent and I go to pray whenever we need extra help and counsel from the Lord.




Elder Broadbent and I got bokits! Just like the good ol' days in Guadeloupe. I got ham and cheese, and he got chicken and diarrhea (he got BOO'd at church the next day).




Do you see what's wrong with this picture?

Yeah, I had another run-in with a spider. Don't worry though, I won.







No comments:

Post a Comment