Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hello, French Guiana!

October 27, 2014

Hello everyone!

I made it down here safe and sound. It's weird. The roads are so much wider. The heat isn't unbearable though, probably because I now have a car and we have an apartment with air-conditioning! Hallelujah! The missionaries down here are awesome and are baptizing machines. Since Elder Lever has come down, he's baptized so many times that I keep discovering more of his recent converts.

It's nice down here. Imagine the feeling of going from Northern Utah to St. George. It's hotter, there's a lot of red dirt everywhere. But there are a lot more Brazilians here and the jungle is crazy. The trees here are so thick. But I live in a pretty suburban area. I'll have to take some more pictures another time.

I still am lost down here. Elder Belnap drives, and I just look at all the cool scenery. It's hard because it's flat and you can't see over anything because of all the trees, so I still couldn't even get myself home if my life depended on it. I've met most of our good investigators now, and we have been working with a lot of members already. The branch has a ton of youth and many young men preparing to serve missions. So we have a regular rotation of three 19 and 20 year-olds that actually call us to come and work. It's pretty awesome!

Here's a quick rundown of investigators and what I know so far:

JEFFERSON

He's getting baptized this Saturday! His little sister Jenny just got baptized, and now he's ready to get there. He's Brazilian, 14 years-old, and awesome. He loves soccer and he's going to be an awesome missionary someday. We're having a Family Home Evening at the branch president's house with him tonight. The branch president here is awesome and he loves the youth! The branch has so much life!

ROMARIO

He's 18 years-old. Also Brazilian. He's the older brother of 2 recent converts and he wants to get baptized, but his problem is that he works for the French Gendarmes right now and works a lot of Sundays. He has a baptismal date for November 15th though, so we're working to get him there. He's very good friends now with the youth and comes to the soccer activity every Wednesday afternoon.

BRAZILIANS

Basically everyone down here is Brazilian, and they are the BEST!! Man, they have so much love and they're so faithful! I love teaching them. We got fed lunch yesterday by our investigator Jose-Carlos. It was my first time eating a real Brazilian meal (beans and rice of course) and some really good Brazilian barbecue.

The problem is... I don't speak Portuguese! I need cousin Parker Landgren to come down here from Toronto so he can translate for me! We'd baptize everyone together! Some of them only speak broken French, and when they talk to us in lessons we have to really strain ourselves to understand. Luckily, the branch president is Brazilian though.

Anyway, that's just about all the updates I have for you this week.

SUMMARY

I love it down here! And I EXPECT to baptize A LOT! #salvationsplash

Love,
Elder Dayton




I had to say goodbye to my companion and good friend, Elder Lewis. He's going to keep the work moving in Martinique!


I flew AirFrance to get down here! It was nice.





We ate lunch at Jose Carlos' house on Sunday. The shirtless drunk guy in the corner made our food for us. It was so funny! He didn't speak a lick of French, but he kept talking to us. I would just nod my head and keep eating. Elder Belnap is so awesome! He makes me laugh harder than I have in a long time. Plus, he's an amazing leader. He's teaching and inspiring me a lot.

Jose-Carlos' daughter Jennifer is so cute! (PS, Brazilian women are very beautiful!! I'm glad I'm not actually serving in Brazil! Jennifer asked us if we could give her our number for a woman at lunch that was eyeing us. We didn't. We'll teach her though if she's willing to commit herself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment