Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Red at Night, Sailor's Delight

September 22, 2014

Hello everyone,

I woke up at 5:47 this morning to a beatiful red and orange sky, so I snapped a quick photo. But then 5 minutes later, at 5:52, the sky was blue. It's a rainy day today here in Martinique! I guess that just proves the little rhyme that Elder Turner taught me: "Red at night, sailor's delight. Red in the morning, sailor's warning." Luckily I have other missionaries to drive me around to take care of P-day stuff so I don't have to walk around in the rain.





ZONE CONFERENCE WITH ELDER ZIVIC

The Elder Zivic was at our Zone Conference in Guadeloupe this last week, and he is an amazing man. He's from Argentina, so his English isn't great, but he still has so much power when he speaks, even if it is slowly. His wife, Sister Zivic, speaks great English and she was able to teach us a lot as well. She is an amazing teacher! It was then when I realized that behind every general authority of the Church is an even more amazing wife. So basically at this point in my life I have no chance to be a general authority because I'm not married. Hopefully I don't run into some amazing woman that becomes my wife... then I'll be doomed!

We talked more about the Book of Mormon, obedience, using our area books, and how to have real success as a missionary. I loved it, and I'll definitely be re-reading my notes throughout the week.



Elder Dayton talking with Sister Zivic

Elder Dayton and Lewis reporting on their Zone

The Martinique Zone at Zone Conference, September 2014




RENAUD

He is doing awesome! He came to Church again! We tried calling him in the morning but he wasn't answering. So we stopped by his house on the way to church and woke him up. His alarm was blaring, but he was sound asleep on his balcony. Thank goodness his lives on ground level. He then walked to church by himself and got SOAKED by the rain. It was so sad to see him walk in, and I felt terrible, but he was not ashamed one bit and stayed for all the meetings. Needless to say, someone drove him home after church.

He also came to an activity on Saturday for the Sunday School and was basically leading the discussion as we debated modern day topics using the gospel. He was the scribe, and he did a great job!

Elder Lewis and I cleaned his apartment last Monday. It was a serious project and we have only put a dent in it. But he was so grateful. I cleaned and organized the balcony, Elder Lewis took care of the kitchen, and Renaud worked on the bedroom and bathroom. Everything was pretty nasty, but it looks a lot better now. We're just trying to teach him how to keep it clean (we might have to clean it again this week.)

GERSON (formarly known as Jerson)

He's still progressing, but he's not on track to get baptized on the 27th anymore. It's too bad. We won't be getting our baptismal goal for the month. He should be getting baptized next month. He's starting to read the Book of Mormon and we have had some amazing lessons with him. It's so awesome to watch the eyes of his understanding open as the Spirit teaches him. He's slowly but surely becoming truly converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

He also came to English class and the activity on Saturday. We met him downtown and then road the bus with him to the church, then walked with him. We're basically just his friend. It honestly felt like we were just hanging out with him. (And he's teaching me some Spanish.)

I love my area. I love my companion. I love my investigators. I love this calling. I never want these feelings to end. I feel happier right now, and closer to my Heavenly Father than ever before--and I'm only getting better.

I love you all, have a great week!

Elder Dayton

P.S. I saw some old friends from Guadeloupe - Diemjy, Mosiah...But best of all, I saw Adrien for the first time since I came to Martinique! He's doing awesome and seems so happy in the church! He has the Melchizedek Priesthood and is serving as the branch clerk!! He's so funny too!





Elder Pape with Elder Dayton, waiting in the airport.




No comments:

Post a Comment