Monday, July 21, 2014

Almost, darn near, pretty close

July 7, 2014

"My father hath been slain in battle, and all my kinsfolk, and I have not friends nor whither to go... for I am alone."

That's just about how I feel every day of the week except for MONDAY! Thanks for everyone that emailed me this week.

Happy P-Day everyone! :)

Sadly, we didn't get our goal of 100 at church yesterday, but we did get 86, which is way more than normal. We had a member, Frere Noel, that invited 5 FRIENDS to come to church! It was awesome! We also had some other members bring people. Hopefully we can start teaching them this week and baptizing them next week (maybe not...)

So, overall our campaign to get 100 people at church didn't work out, but it was still a success! Our members are catching the vision slowly. They just need to realize that this is something that we can do every week! If every member brought 5 members like Frere Noel did, we would have a stake in Fort-de-France. But I don't know how long we have to wait until that happens... Until then, we'll just keep working with our itty-bitty branch.

ENZO

So, we have a long-time 9 year-old investigator that has been coming to church with his grandma (member) for several months now. He's actually the cousin of Freddy who just got baptized. He has never been able to be baptized because his father (non-member) wanted him to wait until he was more mature. Well Elder Jex and I we're walking by a bus compound where Enzo's dad works and went and talked to him. And he gave us the okay to baptize Enzo! He just didn't understand before what baptism is for and how it can help his son, and overall, their family! So we should be getting a baptism in a couple of weeks! :) We're going to try and sit down and teach the father with Enzo too, so that he can one day get baptized too. The problem is that he works every day, basically all day. Even coming to his son's baptism is going to be difficult! But we'll take the hand we're given and pray for miracles.

FOUND A CELL PHONE

We were walking along the other day and I looked down and saw a cell phone on the ground. So I picked it up and we called one of the recent contacts. It was the owner's friend. He told us to wait where we were and he came and picked it up. On the phone he sounded like a pure French man with a beautiful accent from Metropolitan Paris. Then a Chinese guy pulled up in his yellow van. That threw me off a little bit. But I'm getting distracted... So we gave him the phone back and our phone number on a card as well. He said he would give it to his friend.

Later that night the owner of the phone, Victor, called us to tell us thanks. He was so thankful for the act of service and never would have expected to get his phone back. He was very touched and he deeply expressed his gratitude to us. He has our card about the Book of Mormon now and he said that we would come in contact again one day.

Even if we never come in contact again, I'll know that I did help someone out, and he got a good impression of our Church and the missionaries. It was awesome to be a little part of that guys miracle for the day. I'm grateful for the Lord putting us in the right place at the right time, and giving us the inspiration to know what to do.

Here's a quote from a talk by Neal A. Maxwell that I loved. It's about pet peeves and letting things bug us. This has been on my mind a lot lately, and this little quote was perfect.
"Some others patiently feed their pet peeve about the Church without realizing that such a pet will not only bite the hands of him who feeds it, but will swallow his whole soul."
We need to be careful about what we complain about and not think about things too much. We just need to have faith and march on.


I hope you all have a good week! Thank you all for being in touch with me and keeping me up to date in what's going on in your lives. I love you all!

Elder Dayton






Elder Jex and I waiting out a rainstorm under a bridge with cool graffiti under it.



Rare appearance of Andrei Kirilenko in Martinique!! I had to snap a picture.



The senior couple bought us a rolling pin at a Chinese shop the other day. It's labeled "Movable Stick." Classic!




Nice sunset pic over the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment