Monday, March 3, 2014

Salut!

March 3, 2014

"Salut les gars!!"

Salut in French can mean "hi," "bye," or "salvation." People always use it to say hi to me, and when I say it back to them I mean salvation.

Elder Lever and I had another great week! I think I had the most productive week of my mission numbers-wise this past week, and the Lord definitely had his had in a lot of it! We had a lot of success with having our set appointments following through, and we were very bold while talking to people, so we had a lot of fruit that came from our labors! :)

JOCELYN GOT BAPTIZED!!!

I saw in the West Indies Mission Newsletter that Sis. Mehr sends each month that Jocelyn on Guadeloupe got baptized! I wish I could have been there! ALSO, I heard that Adrien should be getting baptized soon!! :)


4 MORE BAPTISMAL DATES

We set baptismal dates last Tuesday with Cedric and Caytleen and their two other kids, Alexandra (14) and Christopher (12)!! We reviewed the Restoration with them and then talked about baptism and they accepted our invitation to prepare to be baptized on the 29 of March!! I was so pumped! (BUT: I found out that the parents aren't married, so we're going to have to bring that up sometime this week.) And the parents came to church in Fort-de-France too! They weren't going to be able to come because they had another car problem (with the brakes this time), but a family  in the branch here came and picked up the parents so that they could see what church was like. I think they liked it... They were very quiet and didn't talk very much. But I think going to a new church for the first time would be overwhelming for anybody! So I don't think we have much to worry about. We're meeting with them again tomorrow night and we'll probably teach the Plan de Salut (Salvation) WITH a little bit of eternal marriage thrown in there... Pray for us!

SUPER COOL EXPERIENCE!

Elder Lever and I had a potential investigator that lives up north of us in Marigot. We almost never go there and we can never find ways to set up appointments with him, but Elder Lever decided to give him a call last week to see if we could set something up. He said he was available that afternoon! I had never taught him before and Elder Lever gave me a little warning of what kind of investigator he was... When we got there, that's when the problems just started to unfold! He knew the missionaries in France while he was there last year. He met them during a very dark and difficult time in his life. Everything in his life just started going downhill and he became extremely depressed. He lives alone, he doesn't have a job, doesn't have a girlfriend, and I don't think he has much going for him in life. He's money-less, and he needs a lot of help. Due to his depression and other problems, he has turned to worldly things that have really not been helping at all (to keep it simple: Law of Chastity problems and Word of Wisdom problems.) He is at just about the lowest point a man can be in life and he knows that he really needs help! We taught him about the Atonement and repentance, and I think we really gained his trust. He initially told us we could only stay for 15 minutes, but we ended up talking for about an hour. At the end of the lesson, we bore our testimonies and I told him that we were there for him and that we wanted to help, and he looked back with one of the most humble, honest, and happiest smiles I have ever seen. I know with every fiber of my being that the Atonement of Jesus Christ can heal this man--and this man needs it more than just about anyone I have ever seen. I'm so excited to work with him and I just hope that we can lift him up a little bit.

Before we left, we committed him to start easing back on one of his addictions and we explained to him that repentance takes a long time, but it's necessary to start somewhere. He committed to it and told us that we could come back. He said that we can just call him, and if he's feeling good enough that we can come over. He's a former 7th Day Adventist, and he said he doesn't want to get baptized into our church, he just wants to be spiritually and emotionally well enough to feel good stepping back into his old church. Even if he heals completely, goes back to his old church, and never becomes a Latter-Day Saint, I know that he will never forget the missionaries that helped him change his life. We are supposed to call people unto repentance. That is what's more important. That is why I am here. I know I can change peoples' lives whether or not they get baptized. Someday in the future he might just accept the gospel--you never know, and that's why you should never give up hope on anyone.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!

Salut,

E-Dayt



Elder Dayton overlooking the town of Le Robert, Martinique. Gorgeous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment