Thursday, January 16, 2014

Q & A

January 13, 2014

Hello everyone!

I got my mission call on January 16th last year... It's crazy how time has flown by! Now I'm actually here on the island of Martinique and I still can't even believe it!

This cybercafe that I'm at doesn't have a USB port that can accept my memory card adapter, so I can't upload any pics this week... :( And that was pretty much all I wanted to talk about! But basically I went on an awesome exchange on Friday with Elder Taylor Russell in his area. We spent a big part of the day with Kevin, who just got baptized on Saturday! He's engaged to another member and they're planning on getting married in the temple in a year from the date of his baptism! Super sick! :) But on Friday, we spent the day with the two lovebirds playing badminton on the beach and going on a little hike. Then we finally got to work and went and taught an awesome member lesson with a new investigator who is so ready for the gospel!

Elder Lever and I are working to turn some of our potential investigators into progressing investigators. We've started to try inviting more people to church, and lots of people are pretty open to the idea! Hopefully we get some more people in attendance in the future. We have one investigator named Sylvia who is pretty solid. Also, we just met a family with two teenage girls while contacting last night by the ocean, and they were super nice! We got their phone number and they said that they would come to church. I hope we can start teaching them! They seemed pretty promising. If you want to pray for them, I think they're the Belle-Rose family... but I'm not sure... but I'm pretty sure Heavenly Father will understand. :)


Since I don't have any pictures for you, or much else to talk about, I'll answer some of your questions!


I assume you have A/C in your place? As nice as it is...I would think. 
No I do not actually! But it's probably about a constant 75 in the house. Maybe 70 at night. The ocean breeze keeps it pretty casual. :)

How was church? Did you speak or teach?
It was great!! I gave a 15 minute talk on the importance of the family in God's Plan. By the end of this, I'm going to be pro at giving talks... to small groups of people that I don't really know very well. :) haha Then I helped teach Gospel Principles with Elder Lever. We had about 12 people at church, and two of them are sort of investigators! So it was a pretty good Sunday. We only do two hours of church because of how small the group is. We also had President Occolier come, our Branch President. He gave the Aaronic Priesthood to Elder Lever's most recent convert/baller/homie Marclin. Haha he's so sick!! He's going to be able to bless and pass the sacrament now. And he's going to start coming with us to appointments so that we can teach with him. Our next step is to baptize his girlfriend Christina!

Do you ever drive the car, or does Elder Lever always drive?
Elder Lever is the assigned driver. I haven't driven yet. But I might have to start driving every once in a while when I do exchanges.

How do you pronounce your comp's name? Does it rhyme with fever, or never?
Fever! :) 

What do you have to do as a District Leader that's different now? 
I have to do nightly calls. So between the hours of 9:30 and 10:30 (bedtime), I'm basically just on the phone. So I don't really have any time to wind down... that kinda stinks. But I still make sure I find time to write in my journal and brush my teeth before collapsing onto my bed! I also have to teach 90 minute lessons to all the missionaries every Tuesday for district meeting. So that's cool... :/ not! Haha but if you guys have any talks you like or good teaching ideas, etc. I'd love to hear them! I need some material!

Is your comp a co-District Leader with you? I'm not sure how that works...
No. I'm the District Leader for all of Martinique.

Is there one Zone on the island?
Yes. Elder Russell and Elder Ardeche are the Zone Leaders in the big city of Fort-de-France.

When will your next Zone Conference be? And where?
Next Wednesday in Gwada! We'll be away from Martinique for a total of about 24 hours. Two quick plane rides of about 30-45 minutes each, then we're right back to work--filled with the Spirit!

Do you ever dream in French?
Yeah, sometimes... It's weird though. Lots of times it's a dream where either I don't understand what people are saying or they don't understand me.

Do you notice any difference in the food on Martinique vs. Guadeloupe?
They have better pizza here! There aren't nearly as many bakeries everywhere though. But overall, the food's pretty similar.

With not many members nearby, do you ever get invited over anywhere for meals? 
We have a family that apparently feeds us about once a week. It's Soeur Anthony from St. Lucia. So she speaks English. I've heard she can bust any missionary's gut with her cooking! Her son is Marclin, the 26 year old recent convert. He was born on Martinique, so he speaks French. But he's trying to learn English with us, so it's pretty fun. She also has a handicapped son Jean-Jean who is about 30 and passes the sacrament for us. He's pretty awesome. :)

Do you see a lot more tourists on Martinique?
I do see more tourists here. Part of it might just be because I'm in a more touristy city than my last area. Trinite is sort of popular with tourists I think, but I've heard that most of them go down to the south part of the island though. It's pretty much white people everywhere down there! haha

We've been talking and maybe we will try to do Christmas down in the Caribbean the Christmas after you come home.  What would you think of that?
Expensive... awesome... SO fun! I don't know. How are flights down here in the summer compared to during the winter? I think Christmastime here would be more enjoyable (like a getaway.) But I feel like summer might be cheaper to get us all back here.

Will you be meeting as a group every week or will you go to the branch every so often? 
We meet as a group every week except for fast Sunday. Then we go to Fort-de-France. Then after we always eat at Soeur Yva's house. She makes the best food! She loves the missionaries. And we love her too!

Love,
Elder Dayton

No comments:

Post a Comment