Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Volcano

September 16, 2013

EXCHANGES

Last week I did two exchanges. One was down in Basse-Terre with Elder Drennan, and it was fun. Just a pretty normal missionary day. I got to meet some of their investigators and stuff. It was pretty fun. But the other exchange is the cool one... I went to Morne-a-l'Eau with the Zone Leader, Elder Tolman. He's been out over a year and a half, and he's an amazing missionary! I learned a ton while I was with him! We went contacting together and it was AMAZING! I've never actually really enjoyed contacting, but this time it was great! Even he admitted that this time was awesome. It was like every door we went to was open to our message! It was so cool! But the real miracle was this one family we ran into...

THE ADELAIDE FAMILY

 We went up to the house and the father was outside on the table doing his bills. We started giving our little message, and he didn't really seem interested. He didn't look up from his papers, but he didn't send us away, so we kept talking. He told us to yell in the house at his wife to come out because she would actually listen to our message. So we told her to come out, and we just started talking about families. They are married (for once, hallelujah!) and they have 3 boys (potential priesthood holders!) and a girl. They are non practicing Catholics. As we kept talking about families and got more into the Restoration of the gospel, we had both of their attention. He had finally looked up from his bills, and his eyes were locked on us. They didn't talk very much unless we asked them a question. We got to a point where we asked them to pray about our message and ask God if Joseph Smith really was a prophet. They agreed to do it and they said they would that night before going to bed! At the end, she grabbed a paper and wrote down "Joseph Smith" in big bold letters. Then her husband told us that he was really speculative to listen to us at first, and thought we were just like some other type of salesmen. But he said that we seemed really sincere and that he actually felt like we were telling the truth! (Thank you Holy Ghost!!!) Then they thanked us and we said a prayer together. Right before we were about to leave, we set up an appointment for Elder Tolman and his companion to go back and visit two days later. They were happy to have a return appointment with us. Then, the wife told us something. She said, "I wasn't going to say anything to you guys, but this morning I was praying for our family. I was asking God for some help." She said she didn't really know what she was asking for, but then she said, "I think you guys are the help I needed. Thank you." HECK YEAH!!!! Haha that lesson got me so pumped! I'm so excited to see what happens with them. They have so much potential! They are primed for the gospel! I hope that they can continue to work with them until baptism. I don't think their last appointment worked out, so they have another one set up for this week. So we'll see how that goes!

THE VOLCANO

Last week the Zone Leaders extended us the challenge to have each companionship get 5 member lessons this past week. And if we did, we could all do a big zone activity together for P-Day (today). Every companionship got the goal (barely, for some) so we got to go to the volcano today! It was sweet! It's about an hour and a half hike to the top. It was super foggy up there, like something out of a movie. In fact, everything up there looked like something from out of a movie! The wind was blowing like crazy, and you could lean over and you would stay up. The rain was blowing up the mountain, and we were all soaking wet. Then, you drop down into where the volcano is and the air is straight sulfur. You can't see any of the lava, but there was this really cool neon green colored rock. Then there was this meadow thing under all the fog that looked like something from the Wizard of Oz. I expected to look down there and see a bunch of flying monkeys or munchkins dancing around. Haha it was pretty sweet!








P-Days here are pretty awesome! We do some way cool activities. I love it, but it takes up a lot of our time sometimes. But I don't think we'll be able to keep having this much fun as time goes on, so I'm soaking it up while I can. I've been able to see things in my first transfer and a half that are new for Elders that have been out a year and a half! So I'm pretty lucky. I love Guadeloupe! It has just about everything. Everyone says it's the best island, and I can definitely believe that.

Well, that's about it for the week! Thanks guys! I love you all, no matter where in the world you are! Good luck with all of your endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment